Sunday, May 29, 2016

DIY Pink Paper Peony Tutorial



For these paper flowers I dyed coffee filters with tropical punch and black cherry Kool-aid (the difference in shade is not noticeable). I added the Kool-aid and 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 quart water in a flat pan mixing until the Kool-aid dissolved. Depending on the shade of pink you want you can dip the filters in only part way and the tips of the petals will be darker pink and fade to white in the center or dip the all the way in and soak for a much darker pink. Also how many you dye stacked together will cause the filters in the middle to be a lighter pink. First, I tried dying each one separately, it took too long, but the colors of the filters were more uniform. (If that's what you want you should time how long you leave them in and use the same time for each filter.) I found I liked the less uniform colors and the flowers looked more natural. After the filters reached the color I wanted. I wrung the excess dye back into the container and placed the filters on a cooling rack set on   top of a cookie sheet. To speed up the drying process I heated my oven to 250 and put the filters in the oven Checking them every 5-10 min. until the filters were Dry. ( It's easier to separate the filters after they are dry.)  

                                                          
SUPPLIES





     When I cut the petal shapes I stacked 4 filters together and folded into fourths. Then started my petals about an inch and a-half up from the point. You can leave the petals rounded at the tips like I did or make them jagged by unfolding the filters once and clipping small notches in them.
I unfolded the fillers and left them stacked together. Then took a pencil and rolled the ends of the petals around it and slightly push the edges of the petal together. Then I separated the filters and  re-stacked them so the petals overlapped the gaps.




                                                            


 For the center I folded two of the darkest filters together like the petals. I cut about and inch and a-half from the point jaggedly. Then I stacked these on top of the petals. From there I took a 4 inch piece of wire and put it through all ten layers about an 1/8 inch from the center then I put the other end through about a 1/4 inch from where I put the first end. Then pulled up and gently twisted each layer. After I had the flower the way I wanted it to look I twisted the wire together tightly and fluffed the petals.






















 Finished Peony

Let us know if you made your own peonies and leave a picture of how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment